Skip to main content

Launch: HEART STRIKE (Delta Force #2)

by M. L. Buchman

A few weeks ago I attended Romance Writers of America National Conference in San Diego. There were tours of Naval Base Coronado where the West Coast SEAL teams test and train. There were publisher dinners, fantastic conversations, great meeting sessions, and several book signings.

Other than a few small signings that I've done to support the nearest town's bookstores:
https://www.facebook.com/NorthByNorthwestBooks
and
http://www.bobsbeachbooks.net/
these were my first signings in a decade. They were also my first big signings as M. L. Buchman and as a romance author.

The number one response?
"You're male!" (sound of deep shock)

Personally I thought the beard was a giveaway, but it did tickled me no end. (The beard does at times too.)
Pointing at my RITA Finalist flag for Target Engaged.
(The RITA is sort of the Oscars of romance writing.)
The second most common response?
"I've read every single one of your books, short stories too."
I laughed it off the first time. "All of them? Here's my full catalog," I handed it over. They reviewed the list and confirmed...all of them.
That one floored me. That's over eighty titles!
Then a little later in the signing, another fan came up for my signature,
"I already own this book, but I want a signed copy. I've read every one of your books. I have them all lined up on my shelf."
This time I merely offered her my catalog, but kept my mouth shut. She glanced down it. "Yep! Every one," she confirmed.
How can an author feel anything but humbled before such fans.


I don't even have all my titles despite 2 full shelves!
(Three are presently on their way from the printer and one from the audio producer.)
(For folks who want the definitive list click here: Complete Bibliography)
Fan after fan raved to me over my Delta Force #1 book, Target Engaged. It was up for the RITA and therefore the center of much attention. At the awards ceremony it, and I, were displayed a dozen feet tall on the screen. (Ultimately it didn't win, but it was an amazing experience to even reach the finals in a field of such amazing writers.)

And let me tell you why that scared the bejeebies out of me. That was was book #1 of my Delta Force series. And I knew full well that book #2 would be out in just a few weeks...as a matter of fact, yesterday!
Delta Force #2
(click for more info)
Thank goodness, my worries have been somewhat eased by early reviews:

  • Heart Strike is beautifully written, exciting to the Nth degree with dangerous doings and with sensual, sizzling love scenes that heat the blood. -Long and Short Reviews (5 stars)
  • M.L. Buchman is such an amazing writer and “Heart Strike” just improves on his powers. “Heart Strike” just makes me want to read more and is a great addition to “Delta Force”. -Night Owl Reviews (5 star, Top Pick)
  • With one of the best endings found in Buchman's books, two of the most engaging characters, and a dramatic aerial assault, this high-action romance has everything, and it's a one-sitting read for sure. - Booklist (starred review)
  • The next book in the Delta Force series might be Buchman’s most ambitiously fast‐paced, action‐packed story to date… Without exception, Buchman gives military romance readers a wonderful balance of heat and drama. -RT Book Reviews (4 stars)
Whew!


Now I'm left to wonder what will amaze and shock me at next year's National Conference?!?
Wishing you all the best,
Matt

M. L. Buchman has over 40 novels in print. His military romantic suspense books have been named Barnes & Noble and NPR “Top 5 of the year” and twice Booklist “Top 10 of the Year,” placing two titles on their “Top 101 Romances of the Last 10 Years” list. He has been nominated for the Reviewer’s Choice Award for “Top 10 Romantic Suspense of 2014” by RT Book Reviews and was a 2016 RWA RITA finalist. In addition to romance, he also writes thrillers, fantasy, and science fiction.

In among his career as a corporate project manager he has: rebuilt and single-handed a fifty-foot sailboat, both flown and jumped out of airplanes, designed and built two houses, and bicycled solo around the world.


He is now making his living as a full-time writer on the Oregon Coast with his beloved wife and is constantly amazed at what you can do with a degree in Geophysics. You may keep up with his writing and receive exclusive content by subscribing to his newsletter at www.mlbuchman.com.


Comments

  1. It was so great to meet you in person. Can't wait to catch up in Orlando!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment