Skip to main content

I’m Not a Doomsday Prepper. I’m Not. There Was Just a Really Good Sale on Toilet Paper. In Bulk.



I’m not quite sure how it happened. I blame it on all the storage space in my off-grid, mountain home. And Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime definitely played a part in all this.

However it started, I have to accept that I’m descending into prepper-dom. Although I’m not fully there yet, I’ve taken a giant step into the land of preparedness. I think it began when I accidentally ordered a case of soup mix, rather than just one package. Sure, when I put it in my online shopping cart, I thought it was kind of expensive, but I just assumed that it was really, really good soup. It did get four-and-a-quarter stars, after all.

When the case of soup mix arrived at my gate (the UPS man having long ago abandoned the idea of trekking all the way up my driveway to my front door. My dogs could’ve deterred him. Or it could’ve been the snow drifts. Either way, he’d started dumping the boxes by the gate and taking off as fast as his little box truck could go), I was in a quandary. Did I send them back? What a hassle. Did I keep them and slowly consume them? Why not? I thought. After all, the expiration date on the soup mix was years in the future. Surely I could eat an entire case of soup over a couple of years. Thus decided, I unpacked it, filling several shelves in my pantry with the soup mix.

After that, I was better about checking the number of packages I was actually ordering. It also made me aware, however, of what a great deal it was to get four or twelve or fifty of something at a time. So I ordered cases upon cases of toothpaste and hand soap and canned goods and salsa and matches and pancake mix and every non-perishable item that I might possibly need.

As I was stacking rolls upon rolls of toilet paper in my pantry, I looked at all of my supplies, and a strange sense of satisfaction settled over me. Of course, I didn’t actually think that a zombie apocalypse was imminent. If, however, by crazy chance, something involving a worldwide excess of the living dead did occur, I had enough toilet paper to last for years.

The thought was oddly comforting.

My baby steps into prepper-hood helped me to get into the mindset of Rory, the heroine of the second book in the Search and Rescue series, Fan the Flames (out June 7th (tomorrow!!)).

 

Fan the Flames, Book 2 in the Rocky Mountain Search and Rescue series.


In the remote Rocky Mountains, lives depend on the Search & Rescue brotherhood. But in a place this far off the map, trust is hard to come by and secrets can be murder…

As a Motorcycle Club member and firefighter, Ian Walsh is used to riding the line between the good guys and the bad. He may owe the Club his life, but his heart rests with his fire station brothers…and with the girl he’s loved since they were kids, Rory Sorenson. Ian would do anything for Rory. He’d die for her. Kill for her. Defend her to his last breath—and he may just have to.

Every con in the Rockies knows Rory is the go-to girl for less-than-legal firearms, and for the past few years, she’s managed to keep the peace between dangerous factions by remaining strictly neutral. But when she defends herself against a brutal attack, Rory finds herself catapulted into the center of a Motorcycle Club war—with only Ian standing between her and a threat greater than either of them could have imagined.

Pick up your copy of Fan the Flames at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Comments

  1. I am no prepper, but I have read a lot of zombie apocalypse books so I understand the urge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment