Skip to main content

Romance Novels and Little White Dogs

In my upcoming release, HOW TO TAME YOUR HIGHLANDER, Mary Elizabeth's little cousin, Connie, has a West Highland terrier named William Wallace. This little dog may look like a cream puff, but she's fierce.



There is also a white puppy in my novel, THE QUEEN'S PAWN. King Henry gives this purebred to Princess Alais in order to woo her in his underhanded way, and the dog is so cute, it works. Little Bijou is a Bijon, or in modern parlance, a Bichon Frise like the puppy below. Bijou has a lot of personality and likes to spend its time asleep on Alais' shoe, unless it's eating one of them.


With all these little dogs in my fiction, I think I need to get one for myself. I've got my heart set on a Coton de Tulear, like this one from the American Kennel Club website. They are small dogs with very calm and sweet dispositions, Just the kind of dog that will be patient as I sit and write yet another revision before we go out and play in the yard.


Basically, I think I want a lap dog. One who will be content to watch it snow in the winter and play in the leaves in the fall. I won't take her on long hikes though. She'll be too fancy for that.

What is your favorite kind of dog? A big outgoing Lab? Or a sleepy hound dog? Or are you a cat person? Leave a comment and let me know...


  
Ever since Christy English picked up a fake sword in stage combat class at the age of fourteen, she has lived vicariously through the sword-wielding women of her imagination. Sometimes an actor, always a storyteller, Christy works happily with Sourcebooks Casablanca to bring the knife-throwing women of her novels to life. A banker by day and a writer by night, she loves to eat chocolate, drink too many soft drinks, and walk the mountain trails of her home in western North Carolina.

Comments

  1. Those dogs are super cute. I don't have a favorite kind of dog. I like rescued pets, I guess. I have a pug/dachsund rescue and two cats. They're my babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rescued pets too! My friend Daisy is a cocker spaniel /Golden Retriever mix (we think) She's a rescue, as are her brothers Charlie (dog) and Kush and Dezzie (cats) are rescues too :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Christy, please send me one (each) of your dogs.
    Thank you very much, Sally ;)

    Sighthounds are my favorite. They love to cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christy. Loved your post. Your dogs look so sweet and cuddly. I love all dogs but my fave is the Papillion. A gorgeous breed for looks but also highly intelligent and super loyal to their human families. In many ways they are human themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enisa I have heard those dogs are smart! I love their ears :) Thanks for hanging out with us :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Christy. Loved your post. Your dogs look so sweet and cuddly. I love all dogs but my fave is the Papillion. A gorgeous breed for looks but also highly intelligent and super loyal to their human families. In many ways they are human themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Westies!
    I have Pembroke Welsh corgis.
    They are smart, loyal and fun to be with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Corgis are adorable! Thanks for commenting Susan :)

      Delete
    2. I love Westies but my favorite is Australian Terriers especially the Red ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment