Skip to main content

What I've Learned About Dogs

In July I made the mistake of stepping into a dog rescue storefront with my daughter. I came home with a foster dog, who is now our adopted dog.

Who didn't see that coming, right?



How could I resist those eyes? My daughter looks pretty pitiful too...

I have always had cats (still have 2 cats), but I thought I understood dogs. Not so much. I didn't realize dogs will eat anything. Flattened frogs, poop, mulch, rocks, acorns, anything...

Sparky, our dog, chews up her toys like they grow on trees. I have some cat toys I replace once every couple of years. I have to replace the dog toys twice a month. Unlike my cats, the dog also has her favorites, and she likes to snuggle with her bear (when she's not biting it).

Dogs are also more patient than cats. Sparky will happily (sort of) consent to wearing dresses and other accessories.

Cats like to be petted, at least mine do, but they like to make it seem like your idea. Sparky is pretty shameless when she wants to be petted.

Also, dogs like to lay right next to you. I mean, Sparky sticks like glue. If I get up, she steals my spot too!

I recently read dogs are as intelligent as a two-year-old child. They can understand 250 words. Sparky only seems to understand the words she likes--"walk," "dinner," and "treat."

But the best thing I learned about dogs is that they are always happy and excited to see you. I feel like a celebrity when I walk in the door every day.

Do you have a dog or cat? Or maybe you have something more exotic...




Comments

  1. Sparky is adorable! Princess G must love having someone new to hug and dress in tiaras.

    We have no pets due to my husband's allergies, but I grew up with cats and birds. The cats were usually outside and the birds were inside, or I might have had trouble. :) When Little Miss R gets a bit older, she can volunteer at the humane society and get her pet fix that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I can't wait until PG is 8 and can volunteer at the SPCA.

      Delete
  2. sometimes dogs outgrow the need to tear up things at about 2 years. My dog chewed up the heels of my shoes until his 2nd birthday, then he just magically stopped. I have 2 Australian shepherds named Beau and Arrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news! Sparky has lots of chew toys, and they seem to keep her out of trouble (mostly).

      Delete
  3. I have a rescue dog named Dexter. I have always had pure bred dogs and this is the first time that I have a mixed breed dog. He follows me everywhere in the house. I can't move without him getting up and looking for me. This is my first dog ever that follows me into the bathroom and sits at my feet and stares and begs for me to pet him. He is always wagging his tail and so happy. Whenever we walk through my neighborhood, everyone always comments on what a happy dog I have. When I sit down to read, he nudges my right arm so I can put my arm around him as I read. The one thing he doesn't like to share are his toys. If I make one squeak, he comes running to make sure that his toy is okay and he will carry it away to a safe place (under the dining room table). He enjoys catching bugs and small frogs in his mouth and then letting them loose in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just adorable, Elizabeth. He's a lucky dog, and you're lucky too!

      Delete
  4. We've had two wonderful dogs and I've also had/have lots of cats. Definitely different creatures but just as wonderful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. One of PG's many tiaras. And I do mean MANY.

      Delete
  6. Sparky is adorable.
    She seems very sweet and I love the pictures with PG.
    Try some small compressed rawhide bones or bully sticks. They will keep her busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gets one a day, and it is probably her favorite thing all day.

      Delete

Post a Comment