Skip to main content

Love and Marriage Through a Child's Eyes by Linda Broday


We write about love and marriage in our books and even have strong personal opinions about the subject. Surprisingly, so do children. Many years ago (way more than I want to share) Art Linkletter had a segment on his TV show called Children Say the Darndest Things. It’s fun looking into the mind of these kids. Some are pretty wise for their age and some are hilarious.

How do you decide who to marry?

One girl said, “No person really decides before they grow up. God decides it all way before and you get to find out later who you’re stuck with.”

A boy said, “You got to find somebody who likes the same stuff. Like, if you like sports, she should like it that you like sports and she should keep the chips and dip coming.”

What is the right age to get married?
“Twenty-three is the best age because you know the person FOREVER by then.”

What do most people do on a date?
“Dates are for having fun, and people should use them to get to know each other. Even boys have something to say if you listen long enough.” (A wise girl if I say so myself!)

“On the first date, they just tell each other lies and that Usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.”

What would you do on a first date that was turning sour?
“I’d run home and play dead. The next day I would call all the newspapers and make sure they wrote about me in all the dead columns.”

When is it okay to kiss someone?
“When they’re rich.”  (I like the way this girl thinks. Wish I’d have listened to her advice.)

“The rule goes like this: If you kiss someone, then you should marry them and have kids with them. It’s the right thing to do.”

Is it better to be single or married?
“It’s better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need someone to clean up after them.”

How would the world be different if people didn’t get married?
“There would sure be a lot of kids to explain, wouldn’t there?”

How would you make a marriage work?
“Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a dump truck.”

One thing for sure, children sure have a unique view of the world. I love writing about them and usually put at least one in every story. They can add a lot of depth and emotion.

In the second book of my Bachelors of Battle Creek series called TWICE A TEXAS BRIDE (May 2015,) I have a six-year-old boy by the name of Toby. His father is a horrible outlaw and his mother is dead. All he wants is a kind decent family. Someone to love him.

In one of scenes, Toby is holding his baby sister and telling these other kids, "She grows her own teeth, too. When she gets big as me, she'll even be able to eat and chew."

He also announced that he was taking care of his baby sister while his mama and papa danced so the fiddlers wouldn't get sick of playing music and go home.

Do you know any funny things that children have said?

WEBSITE     AMAZON     FACEBOOK      TWITTER    PINTEREST

Look for the thrilling conclusion to my Bachelors of Battle Creek series December 1, 2015!  FOREVER HIS TEXAS BRIDE!!

Comments

  1. Oh, my! Those are priceless. My daughter says something funny about once a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shana! I agree. These kids are so funny. I love the one about when to kiss. And how do you decide who to marry. Just a hoot. I'd love to be around your daughter. Children keep us young. But mine are all grown. Guess I'll have to wait for great grandchildren now.

      Can't wait to see you in Dallas in a few days! YAY!

      Delete
  2. I do remember that part of the show. It was my favorite! (Shhh...don't tell anyone I'm that old!) I act all immature and stuff, so people won't know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashlyn! Thanks for commenting. Your secret is safe with me. I love putting children into my stories. They add a richness that wouldn't be there otherwise.

      Have a great day! Hugs

      Delete
  3. Oh, that is hilarious!! Love it and seeing through the eyes of a child is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment