Skip to main content

An epiphany from conventions, past and recent

I'm sure you've all heard plenty of post-RT convention hoopla. You've probably seen dozens of tweets, facebook posts, photos, and blogs about everything from the pub-crawl to the giant book signing. Some of you are probably reliving your favorite moments and some of you, who couldn't attend, are green with envy. Many of you are probably sick of it by now. LOL

Well, I won't bore you with more of the same. I'm going to write about some personal epiphanies. This is something I learned shortly before I left--and I took it to heart. Creative people are prone to times of frenetic activity and must answer the need for quiet, alone time to stay balanced. I'm happy to say I didn't even try to get to everything...and didn't feel guilty for missing some events, as I have in the past.

As it turns out, smaller gatherings are more personal and may do more good than being among the throng. My roommate (fellow Sourcebooks author Terry Spear) and I hosted an intimate pizza party in our room. The dozen or so people who came fit nicely, enjoyed pizza and cupcakes, and actually got to know each other. They received some special swag and will in all likelihood remember where they got it and from whom.

I was able to meet reviewers in person, and maybe because they 'know me' now, it will make my books stand out in the future. I met an aspiring author who I liked immediately. I reconnected with a past Mr. Romance and made everyone laugh when I noted that he was 'in my bed.' Okay, he was just sitting on it, but hey...close enough. It was fun, but not frantic. People came because they wanted to, not because they were herded like cattle.

But that doesn't mean I didn't also attend some of the other events meant for the masses. I let my extrovert out to play on two occasions. I loved the first night's Mardi Gras World. I was in front of a float, handing out beads to readers as they walked through...um, not exactly. I was running up to readers who didn't have 'our' beads and draped them with whatever color they were missing. I was actually representing my old publisher, because even though I don't write for them anymore, they've been very good to me and continue to send me checks every month. (grin.)

The Sourcebooks party Voodoo on the Bayou was another intimate gathering, just for booksellers and librarians. Again, it was a better opportunity to connect with and actually talk to people who will probably remember us and perhaps give our books an appreciated push.

As I said, I learned some interesting tid-bits about the creative mind before I left home. I used that information to write a different blog. It posted yesterday. (If you're interested, you can find it at Rocco's blog:  http://catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com

Have you had any epiphanies lately?

Comments

  1. I was there unofficially, so I only attended the awards ceremony and the book signing. (You looked lovely there!) Wish I could have attended your pizza party it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    I have always found that smaller groups and gatherings bring people closer. The personal touch is very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known you were going to be there. Our party was 'unofficial' so you could definitely have come too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I've heard it was a terrific time. Wish I could have gone! Sounds like you had fun without killing yourself trying to be everywhere. LOL Kudos to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment