Skip to main content

Everything is better on a stick!

If any of you have read Demons Like It Hot, it's not hard to see that one of my other big hobbies is baking. I absolutely love anything that has to do with baking. I will admit though, the cleaning? Not so much.

Tomorrow would have marked my grandmother's 100th birthday. I like to say that I got my baking genes from her. I still am trying to master her secret pie crust recipe though. I think I'm almost there. During the holidays I turn into a regular Betty Crocker wannabe. I think I'm trying to keep the baking tradition alive.

A couple weeks back, I watched the Today show where blogger and author, Emily Schuman was a guest. She showed some fun and exciting ways to celebrate Thanksgiving, one of which were pumpkin pie pops. Although, she did mention you could use other fillings as well.

One of my personal mottoes is "everything is better on a stick." So, with that in mind, I decided I'd give it a go.

To make things a little easier, I bought premade pie crusts. This was just a trial run of sorts, anyway. For the same reason, I bought some Libby's Pumpkin Pie filling. I also decided to try some blackberry filling as well. They were relatively simple to make. I used a  cookie cutter to make the circles and cut out the designs to vent the dough. I placed the stick about midway on the bottom dough and pressed it in. I added a dollop of filling and attached the two sides. I sealed and basted the two sides with egg-wash and sprinkled sugar over them. For the pumpkin pie pops, I added a little pumpkin pie spice to the sugar mixture.

I baked the pops for 30 minutes at 375 degrees and am happy to say it was a success! They make the perfect christmas gift for that special pie lover in your life.

Who knows, maybe I'll find a way to include pie pops in a future novel!

Here are some pics to whet your appetites!

 Almost done!
 What is left of batch number one (blackberry pie pops)
 Pumpkin Pie Pops just out of the oven! Yum!


Comments

  1. They're cute! Hope you're having a fun-filled holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take a dozen of each. Anything on a stick is non-fattening, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals. They weren't all that difficult to make either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that defies everything I thought I knew about pie, sticks, and gravity. How clever! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great, Sidney! Must try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Unfortunately, baked goods in my hands tend to turn out to be lumps..I am a better taster than baker, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I heard on the stick is less calories. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment