Skip to main content

Spring in the city

*I'm having trouble with blogger and can only post text here. It's a shame, because I had some beautiful pictures. I managed to post everything (including the pictures) on my own blog. I'll continue my struggle to post them here, but I'll give you the link to my personal blog in case I fail and hope this issue shakes out soon. ******************** Signs of spring bring to mind beautiful meadows with wildflowers, baby wildlife, and kids able to shed their coats and kick a ball outside again. Now that I live in NH, that's the spring I know. But back when I lived in Boston and Spring arrived, even with warmer weather the awakening seemed less evident--maybe because the city never really experienced the quiet sleep of winter. It takes until late May or June, but eventually the city blooms. The public gardens are a joy to walk again. The swan boats come out of storage. Flower boxes overflow with beautiful color. But the major change is with people. All winter, people hurried with their heads down to get where they needed to go. Spring encourages a slower step. A smile. Maybe even a nod or hello. My series for Sourcebooks is set in Boston. The upcoming spin-off series is still in Boston only a few blocks away on Beacon Hill. Today I want to share with you a walk I took last Spring. It was early June, and I can't think of a better time to visit. * http://ashlynchase.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. Going to have to pop over to your website to see the pretty pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to go check out the pics! Too bad I can't help with your computer issues like I could when we roomed together in Chicago! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a real difference between spring in the city and spring elsewhere and you put your finger on it: In town, we can observe the human reaction to the moderating weather, and that reaction is significant. You could probably predict heart attacks by observing who slows down and relaxes in the kind old sun, and how dashes along, oblivious to even something as pervasive as climate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out here we have bluebonnets and orange Indian paintbrush, and pink and yellow wildflowers blooming all along the main highways. It's really spectacular. We'll be into summer flowers before we know it as spring sprung in Feb and March! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ash,
    I lived in Hollis, NH for a couple of years in the late 80s, and being a Florida girl, I could hardly wait for spring. And summer, well, I think that came to Hollis one day during July and then it was gone! I can remember building a fire in the fireplace in July because it was so cold and rainy.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Hollis, Amelia. In fact, we're thinking of moving there to cut my husband's commute to Lexington, MA in half!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment