Skip to main content

Falling in love...again

Never mind that I've been married to the same man since 1979 and never even dated anyone else, I've fallen in love at least a thousand times. Actors, singers, the guy next to me in math class... You name the type, and I've fallen for him.

The euphoria and excitement I feel from simply from thinking about my current love is addicting, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who has experienced that rush of emotion. After all, it's what every romance reader craves and what every romance writer does their best to convey. I remember the cold hands, the racing pulse, the quivering excitement of being near that person, or imagining being near him. And that imagination is what finally made me a romance writer.

I've been told I'm rather fickle, soon tiring of one man and going in search of the next. Sometimes, my infatuation would last for years, but sometimes only for a few months, which is perfect for a romance writer. I can write a new story and experience the joy of falling in love again and again. It's been said that this fickle tendency is typical of all humans, and that the "in love" phase only lasts the length of time it takes to conceive a child and allow that child to be born and grow into a toddler. After that, the biological need to remain together becomes less crucial to the child's survival, and the passion wanes. If we're lucky, it becomes something more enduring--the kind of "happily ever after" love that we all wish for, and what we all want our heroes and heroines to have, whether they think they want it or not.

It's a given that in a romance novel, someone will fall in love, and usually with the wrong person. The story evolves around Mr. or Ms. Wrong becoming Mr. or Ms Right. If the two characters are perfect for one another and face no obstacles, there is no story. As romance writers, it's our job to take the impossible connection and make the reader believe that it could really happen. And I love my job!

Comments

  1. Great post, Cheryl! Very inspiring. Love take work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shana! Actually, I'm starting to feel a little inspiration from the guy in the picture. My, how easily it happens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, Thank you for that. At one time, I thought I was the only person who felt like that! I do enjoy your writing and especially enjoy the happiness that comes through in your writing. Your books always bring smiles to me. AND... I just adore the messages from your blog!! THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, Cheryl! Ain't it great that we, as readers and writers, get to fall in love over and over and don't even have to pay divorce lawyers. Today I'm in love with that guy in the picture and TODAY I'm young enough that he's flirting with me! Might as well dream big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit it on the head: The wronger they seem to be, the more fun we have getting them to their HEA. Some of the best advice we'll hear is Suzanne Brockmans's "TORTURE your hero!" battle cry. And I would add: Don't spare the heroines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my job too, Cheryl! And yes, the pic you posted is inspiring. ;}

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're quite welcome, Betty, and thank you, too! But I'm wondering if you're really only reading the "messages" on my blog. LOL!

    I dream like that all the time, Carolyn. And in those dreams I'm always younger, thinner, prettier, smarter...you get the idea...

    I've been torturing my heroes more than usual lately, Grace, and I'm enjoying every minute of it!

    I'm always happy to provide inspiration, Kathryne! If you doubt that, visit my blog sometime....

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL...Cheryl, I actually do read the blogs.... BUT, 1st its the pictures. Sometimes my keyboard gets a bit damp from my DROOLING though. TY again..... I'm patiently waiting for the next Cat Star Book!! ;o) (Oh, and I now have my sister hooked on them too! - I haven't told her about your blog though... yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cheryl
    Wonderful, thoughtful post as usual. Oh and there's messages on your blog? LOL

    Those are thoughful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thoughtful, yes, but only on Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The next Cat Star book is due in February, Betty. Doesn't seem quite so long a wait now that we've finally reached September!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl... Feb!! my birthday month!! Maybe I'll but a bottle of champaign to go with that book! I am looking forward to it. TY again Cheryl.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheryl, fun post! It's great to relive those first moments of falling in love, over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! And best of all, we can share those moments with our readers and get paid for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Cheryl, and I LOVE that picture. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm inspired by love and romance. I've been in love and married to the same grumpy pants, now in his unromantic black suspenders for over 40 years. So I need reminders on young loves. I'm still in love with love. And romance books are fun and inspiring. And if I fantasize about love with every Tom, Dick, and Harry so be it. Love makes the world go around. and i know i'm still alive and kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great way to think of writing- as falling in love again and again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment