Skip to main content

Hopeful Harry

The May theme for the Casababes has been hope. I'd like to introduce you to a little fellow who exemplifies it. This is Harry, the newest member of our family. My niece found him in the middle of an Ozark woods, tied to a tree without food or water. He'd been abandoned to die, tied so he couldn't find his way back to whoever left him.

Sounds hopeless, doesn't it?

But my sister and her family took him in even though a ten pound dog wasn't really their first choice. When she told me they were getting a large breed puppy on Monday, I asked if she'd be willing to part with this little long-haired dachsund. It's been 18 months since I lost Susie, my beloved 17 year old poodle mix. Meeting Harry convinced me that I was ready for a new four-legged friend. Fortunately, my sister said I could have him.





I'm thrilled to report that he and our rat terrier, Mack the Wonder Dog, get along famously. They even traveled well together all the way from Missouri to New England. Mack missed Susie almost as much as I did and is tickled to have a new "brother" to play with.

The point of this story is that things sometimes happen over which we have no control. We may be facing what seems like a no-win situation, but there's always cause for hope. If we wait a bit, we might find our circumstances will change.



Harry's certainly has. He's gone from being abandoned in the country to becoming a city dog with a new family and a new life. We love our pets and enjoy them for a long happy time.



Of course, now he'll have to be fixed. Hmm... Perhaps Harry's luck has run out, after all...






Mia Marlowe is collaborating with romance legend Connie Mason on two new titles for Sourcebooks. Watch for Sins of the Highlander, coming January 2012. For more info about Mia's work, a fun contest and plenty of reader-friendly extras, visit MiaMarlowe.com.


Have you ever had a time in your life when you thought things looked hopeless, but then something happened to change things for the better?

Comments

  1. Oh, yeah...waking up in the hospital with a tube down my throat three days after I went to bed.

    Though I was probably too drugged to feel hopeless then, I've had a lot of days since where I wrestled with that beast.

    Good for Harry! None exemplify hope like dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, ladies. I was trying to sell my house without even a nibble and my dad had a stroke. So I took the house off the real estate market, put it up for sale on the newspaper internet site, and when some people came to look at furniture, I asked them if they wanted to buy the house. The woman was a real estate agent and said yes! But more of a miracle, I drove back to Texas, found a house within a mile of my parents that had already sold, but the people backed out when they couldn't get the financing, so it was ready for us to move right in. Then we learned my dad was dying from cancer, and I was there for both my dad and my mom. So yes, when the situation seemed hopeless and I needed desperately to be near my parents, hope sprung anew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say for sure, but I have had difficult situations in whihc one door closed another opened, so close enough I guess. Poor Harry! He is cutie as is your other dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry is precious. Love those soulful eyes! And yes, ma'am, I've been there with the hope issue, many times. One door slammed so hard that it hit me square on the fanny and I thought the world had ended. When I opened the door in front of me I found opportunities that were mind boggling! Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen--I'm so glad you're better now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry--Sometimes just being there is enough. I'm sure your folks appreciated you being close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, it ended up being the kick in the ass I needed... So, it's all good in the end. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny--I think the trick is to stay flexible and keep a positive attitude.

    We're delighted to have Harry and Mack is too. Fortunately, they both seem content to share us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn--Ah, but you had the hope and courage needed to open that door of new opportunities. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maureen--Sometimes we do get rude wake-up calls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harry and Mack are the cutest! How nice of you and your sister for taking Harry under your wings. He's a lucky little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mia - Harry and Mack are adorable together. Harry is a lucky dog and seems to have adjusted well.

    Great post! I had a couple of times that I can think of that I thought were completely hopeless, but I never stopped praying...never underestimate the power of prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. GAH. I'm normally a practical, mild-mannered Scandinavian, but hearing about such cruelty to animals just makes me want to BEAT ON SOMETHING. HARD. Bless you for providing Harry with a wonderful new home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracey--My sister and I have always loved dogs. It's no trouble to make room for one more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CH--Absolutely. Prayer will get you through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tamara--I so empathize with you. Cruelty to anyone is reprehensible, but mistreating a helpless animal, who has no power, no voice, seem especially heinous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you and your sister both could be there for Harry when he needed you most!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Catherine. I see you have a furkid too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It breaks my heart that anyone could be that cruel to an animal. So glad he was found and rescued, and went to a loving home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment