Skip to main content

Happy Anniversary To Me!

posted by Aunty Cindy aka Loucinda McGary

September 14th is a day of celebration for me. It's like Christmas, only better!

You see, two years ago today, September 14, 2007 was a life altering day for me. That was the day I received THE CALL! The day I went from an As Yet Unpublished writer to a Soon To Be Published author, and my life has never been quite the same, in the best ways possible.

Has it really only been two years?!?! So much has happened on this exciting journey that sometimes I still have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Only two short years ago, I was struggling with the doubt demons and wondering if I would ever see a book of mine on the shelf. Today I am a multi-published author! GAH! I still can't quite believe it.

Yesterday, I celebrated with my second In-Person Launch Party! About thirty-five friends and RWA chapter mates showed up for pizza, cake, and a lot of laughs. Some of them brought as many as ten books for me to sign, citing them as unique holiday gifts for friends and family. Unfortunately, I ran out of my 'autographed copy' stickers for the front covers. Happily, we did not run out of pizza or cake!

Since I waited almost two weeks after my release date this time, many of the people at the party had already read the book. And they were all bubbling over with praise and asking about the next book. Truly music to my ears!

And the most amazing thing of all is that I have FANS! A few weeks ago, I was astounded to learn that a member of my newsletter group lives in South Africa, another lives in Indonesia, and several are in Australia. The idea of people living so very far from my humble little abode in California reading my books never occurred to me two years ago.

I did dream of the day when I might receive an honest-to-goodness fan letter. The experience is even more fantastic than I imagined! Fan mail truly makes everything about writing and publishing worthwhile! Here are excerpts from a couple of pieces of fan mail I received last week:
About The Treasures of Venice --"... What a book! What can I say, I loved it from start to finish. Keirnan and Sam and also Nino and Serafina the story is amazing...

"Truly you have a magical voice. I love it. This book, kept me enthralled... I started it Friday night and finished it Saturday at 9-00pm and although I couldn't put it down because I wanted to get to the end, I didn't want it to finish if that makes sense.

"Thank you for another fantastic adventure, it was awesome."

And about The Wild Sight --"I want to thank you for my trip to Ireland in 'The Wild Sight'. I have always wanted to go. My favorite part is when Rylie accepts that Donovan has the power of sight. When it doesn't frighten her off, I thought here is a stubborn and courageous woman. I'd love to have some of her mojo.

"I have your other book 'The Treasures of Venice' and I can't wait to get started with it... Thank you for your time and creating a beautiful story in an awesome setting."

If I am dreaming, please don't wake me up!

Two years ago, when our lovely editor, Deb called and said those magic words, "I want to buy your Irish book." I knew I was about to begin a wonderful journey, but I didn't realize just how wonderful!

There is nothing more exciting for me than seeing my name on the cover of a book I've written, to walk into a bookstore or library and find my book on the shelf, to receive a piece of fan mail from a reader who enjoyed my story! Two years after receiving THE CALL that changed my life, none of the excitement has faded. I don't think it ever will!

When was the last time something memorable happened to you?

What were you doing two years ago?

Comments

  1. Congratulations on another successful launch, Cindy! I got my call for Line of Scrimmage just about two years ago, as well. Funny how fast things change! Enjoy all that well-earned fan mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, congrats on the new release, AC! I read it and loved it!

    I got my "call" on May 3, 2007. How do I know that? I didn't until I looked it up, but I still have the email Deb sent me when she couldn't find my phone number!

    You're right: two years doesn't seem like much time, but a lot has happened since then. I've gone from getting rejection letters to hearing from readers who are waiting with "bated breath" for my next book. Who'd have thunk it?

    Enjoy your success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear the excitement hasn't waned, Cindy. How exciting for you.

    Lessee, two years ago...I had finished two books entered a contest, did well enough, finished in the top 25%, had some interest in the first one I was querying. Got some nice feedback. Most of which I didn't understand. So I embarked on a journey to learn and have learned an enormous amount. Applied my years in martketing and promotion to the publishing field. A lot smarter than I was 2 years ago. lolol!

    Looking forward to your visit Over Coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Cindy! What a journey, eh?

    Two years ago I was in the thick of the Gather.com First Chapters Romance Contest, hoping to win a book contract. Funny how that works out. I didn't end up winning but I ended up with a 3 book deal instead! :)

    Many many more anniversaries to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Cindy!

    I got my call two years ago on July 10, 2007. Well, it was really an email from our editor Deb who asked if I was planning on attending Nationals. She said she loved Romeo, Romeo and wanted to talk to me about it. I had just arrived in Dallas, so I called her, and we met that afternoon. It was the best conference ever. I sold my first book and won the Golden Heart that same week. It doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunty Cindy, the excitement never fades.

    I got 'the call' January 11th, 1999, and I still remember every detail, from the email from John Scognamiglio at Kensington saying he was trying to get a hold of me, to the babbling call saying he loved the book and wanted to buy it.

    You never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I couldn't be happier for you. I have had some success in the past year. Last November, my first book was published and I just found out that my second one should be published this November, which makes that a memorable month because it's also my birthday month and my nephew's (he was born the day before me). But as great as that all is, I think the most memorable - and important - thing that has happened to me recently is having my older daughter go to college. There is nothing quite like the pride of seeing this person you cultivated for all those years going on to achieve their goals. I am so proud of her!
    Margay

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sweet Cindy,

    Live it up! You deserve all the accolades you are getting. I am absolutely thrilled for you. Now sit back, put your feet up and smile!

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Cindy!

    About 2 years ago I was just starting at Sourcebooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, to get The Call! What a dream;).
    My most recent memorable moment was attending DC where I got to meet so many fabulous authors and publishing professionals. Including you, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey my Evil Twin, Marie!

    I remember we both got The Call close to the same time. We both announced it on the PRO loop and that's how we "met!"

    My Launch Party yesterday was TONS O FUN! I just wish all the CasaBabes and our friends could have been there to help me celebrate!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are SOOOO right, Cheryl!
    Who'd a thunk it?!?! It's quite a leap from struggling AYU (as yet unpublished) to Multi-published. Sometimes I never thought I'd make it, but I'm SOOOO happy I did!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sia, GOOD for you!

    You've worked hard, made a lot of progress, and not everyone can rightfully claim they are SMARTER now than 2 years ago! :-) Glad you are in that minority who can.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanx Judi!

    Yes, things really do have a way of working out, in spite of what we might think at the time. :-P

    Here's to MANY MORE anniversaries and book launches for all the CasaBabes!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Golden Heart AND a sale, all while attending RWA National? Nope, it truly doesn't get much better. Robin, you know how to do things in a BIG WAY!!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  16. WTG Donna on your approaching 11 year anniversary! And thanx for confirming what I already guessed, it never fades, is always exciting!

    Looking forward to your next book launch!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Margay,

    CONGRATS on all your lovely November happenings! Both my mom and my former mother-in-law (whom I ADORE) were born in November, so I'd say it is a GREAT month for birthdays. And of course ANY month is great for publishing a book!

    You have a right to be proud of you daughter! Getting a child through 18+ years and into college is a MAJOR accomplishment. YAY FOR YOU and HER! I'm sure she is a very special young lady.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aunty Cindy, at the risk of sounding snobbish, she really is quite a kid. She has really pressed through a lot of adversity to get to where she is today and she is going into one of the most noble professions out there - she is studying to be a nurse. A mother couldn't be more proud than I am right now to call her my daughter.
    Margay

    ReplyDelete
  19. HUGS, Amelia! Thanx for your Kudos!

    And Danielle, all us CasaBabes got LUCKY when they hired YOU to help us get the word out about our books! Don't know what we'd do without you.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  20. Renee,
    It was SUCH A PLEASURE to meet you in DC! I'm sure you'll be receiving that all important CALL yourself someday soon!

    And Margay, you don't sound snobbish at all! Hey, I used to supervise nurses and we have a couple of CasaBabes who are working nurses right now! *KOFF* Cheryl Sharon *KOFF* Talk about GREAT PEOPLE! Bust your buttons, Mom! You deserve to.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  21. Party on Cindy!

    My call was 12/17/79 when I sold my first two books. Some days I think I'm still partying.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats Aunty Cindy both of your books are truly wonderful reads and I have loved both of them from start to finish and am really looking forward to the next one.

    I have to say the most memorable things that have happened to me recently are the birth of my grandchildren and the exciting wait for the new one due in March

    I wish I could have been at the launch party I know I was there in spirit if not in person

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Anniversary, Aunty Cindy. So happy to hear that the launch party was a success. I hope I'll get to go to one of your parties soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aunt Cindy!!! Happy Anniversary!!
    I'm one of those Book Addicts who wait with bated breathe for all these good books to get on the shelves.
    Congrats to all of you Casa Babes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Guess what I did today? I browsed the new releases at my local Barnes & Noble. I was obviously looking for something special, but it was not to be found. So I looked and looked. Then I found it! I promptly moved it to the new release shelf.;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Linda,
    Way to KEEP that party going with all those GREAT books for all this time! Of course we know you were 14 when you first sold... ;-) LOL!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  27. Helen, I know FOR SURE you were there in spirit, and ONE OF THESE DAYS we will get to party in person!

    Your grandbabies look so adorable and how lucky you are to have another one on the way. CONGRATS!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Jane! Can't wait to PARTY in person with you too! I think RWA's National conference will be in NYC in 2011?!?! Correct me somebody if I'm wrong, but I can't WAIT, mainly coz I'll get to see YOU!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  29. THANK YOU, DDonna!

    Readers like you are sooo important to all us CasaBabes! You truly do make it worthwhile.

    And LOL Renee! LOVE that you are doing your part for the CasaBabe books in your area bookstore. ;-) That habit of moving books and facing them cover out is shared by a lot of us. (tee hee)

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  30. Woot! Happy Call-iversary, AC! Now you're a multi-published author!! How lovely is that??! May the next two years hold lots more of that kind of good stuff! ;)

    Let's see... two years ago... we'd just started another school year--and my middle one had just started preschool. This year my youngest did, and yes, times they are a changin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I meant to leave a post this morning, and saw the time, and well, to say the least, I didn't have time!!!! :) Congrats and party hardy, lady! You deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi AC. Happy Anniversary!
    I guess i'm the last here. Kindda feeling unwell here. Hope you're well there, coz you have a party, Yay! \^.^/
    I don't know whether my decission to be a full time mom for my son is one of my Biggest call after about 10yrs working as a planner :)
    Congrats AC!
    *hugs*
    mariska

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanx Fedora!

    Ah yes, the little ones grow up sooo fast! Enjoy them while you can. :-)

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanx Terry!

    Don't work too hard!

    And see, Mariska, you weren't the last one here. I AM! LOL! As I said to Fedora, enjoy every minute you can get with the kidlets coz they don't stay little for long.

    Feel better soon!

    AC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment